Ubisoft is hosting an open beta for upcoming sequel Tom Clancy’s The Division 2. The beta will be open for everyone on PC (Epic Games Store), PlayStation 4, and Xbox…
Perhaps due to Apex Legends’ huge popularity, genre juggernaut Fortnite is hosting back-to-back double XP weekends, and the chance to earn a free battle pass for season eight. The Valenine’s Surprise event closes out the Share the Love event of February, and season seven overall, which ends Feb. 28
The big surprise is that anyone who completes 13 overtime challenges by Feb. 27 will receive season eight’s battle pass for free. The seasonal battle passes normally cost about $10 in V-Bucks.
You can earn season seven skins by completing five, 10, and 15 challenges. Unlocking five challenges will also reward the Valentine Wrap and Vines Contrail rewards. The first three overtime challenges are:
- Collection 15 Coins in Featured Creative Islands
- Search loot boxes at a motel or RV park (7 times)
- Place Top 15 in Duos with a friend (3 times)
More overtime challenges will become available on Saturday, Tuesday, and next Friday. As further incentive, Epic Games is hosting two double XP weekends. Earn twice the XP when playing between Feb. 15-17 and again during the weekend of Feb. 22-24.
Fortnite is in the midst of the Share the Love event for February. Players can still earn a Culled Hearts Wrap skin by supporting a creator through the Support-A-Creator program, until Feb 22. It’s essentially an affiliate program. When earning or purchasing V-Bucks, your chosen creator will receive a share. To support a creator, enter their Epic game tag in the creator section of the item shop.
Fortnite is available for free on PC (Epic Games store), PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and mobile devices. It’s rated T for Teen.
The brand new, Fortnite-funded Epic Games Store snagged an exclusive deal with Skybound Games. Telltale’s The Walking Dead: The Final Season will release its final two episodes on the Epic…
Although many big publishers and game companies have their own digital stores, like EA’s Origin and CD Projekt’s GOG, none have managed to get anywhere close to Steam’s stranglehold on digital PC gaming. Epic Games, the makers of Fortnite, hope to change that with the newly launched Epic Games Store. The Epic Games Store is currently in soft-launch mode with a handful of PC games. It’s aiming for a larger launch, and include Android games, in 2019.
Epic Games is set to be far more attractive to developers and publishers with a more lucrative revenue sharing percentage. Epic Games will take only 12% of sales on its store, leaving 88% for the developers and publishers. For developers that use the popular Unreal Engine in their games, Epic will cover the 5% royalty fee as well.
For comparison, Valve takes 30% of game sales through Steam.
“As developers ourselves, we wanted two things: a store with fair economics, and a direct relationship with players. And we’ve heard that many of you want this too! We’ve built this store and its economic model so that Epic’s interests are aligned with your interests,” writes Tim Sweeney, founder, Epic Games, in a blog post. “Because of the high volume of Fortnite transactions, we can process store payments, serve bandwidth, and support customers very efficiently. From Epic’s 12% store fee, we’ll have a profitable business we’ll grow and reinvest in for years to come!”
Developers will have full control over their game store pages. Consumers won’t find ads or links to other games. Purchasing a game will subscribe that player to the official news feed, where developers can provide a steady stream of news and updates.
Epic Games is also embracing Youtubers and Twitch streamers via the Epic Games Suport-A-Creator program, allowing influencers to receive a share of revenue by driving traffic to the store page. Epic will cover the first 5% of creator-based revenue for the first 24 months.
Only a few games are currently available on the Epic Games Store, including Darksiders 3, Ashen, and Supergiant Games’ newly announced Hades.
The Epic Games Store will offer free games every two weeks to help encourage newcomers. The first is underwater survival-crafting game Subnautica, which is available for free from Dec. 14-27. Starting Dec. 28 you’ll be able to snag Super Meat Boy for free through January 10, 2019.