The Game Awards 2023 has announced the nominations for all 31 categories. Baldur’s Gate 3 and Alan Wake 2 (which only just released a few weeks ago) lead the pack with eight nominations each, though Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 isn’t far behind at seven noms.

The big Nintendo releases this year, Super Mario Bros. Wonder and The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, were each nominated for five awards.

The once highly anticipated Bethesda first-person RPG, Starfield, is nominated for only a single category (Best RPG), which it’s all but sure to lose to Baldur’s Gate 3.

Meanwhile an expansion to a game that came out in 2020, Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, is nominated for an impressive four awards, including Best Ongoing.

Here are some of the biggest category nominations:

Game of the Year

  • Alan Wake 2
  • Baldur’s Gate 3
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Best Narrative

  • Alan Wake 2
  • Baldur’s Gate 3
  • Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man 2

Best Independent Game

  • Cocoon
  • Dave the Diver
  • Dredge
  • Sea of Stars
  • Viewfinder

Best Family

  • Disney Illusion Island
  • Party Animals
  • Pikmin 4
  • Sonic Superstars
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Best Ongoing

  • Apex Legends
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Fortnite
  • Genshin Impact

Best Multiplayer

  • Baldur’s Gate 3
  • Diablo 4
  • Party Animals
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder

By signing into the website, you can vote for your favorite game (or performance, or adaptation) in each category. Voting accounts for roughly 10% of the final tally, with the other 90% coming from industry experts.

The Game Awards, hosted by Geoff Keighley, will stream live from Los Angeles, California on December 7th.


This article was written by

Eric has been writing for over eight years with bylines in Dicebreaker, Pixelkin, Polygon, PC Gamer and Tabletop Gaming magazine, covering movies, TV shows, video games, tabletop games and tech. He reviews and live streams D&D adventures every week on YouTube. He also makes a mean tuna quesadilla.