Nicole, Linda, and Simone are joined by Amy Lang of Birds and Bees and Kids. She’s your go-to expert for advice on how to talk to your kids about sex. So it’s sex education for all of us this week! Listen up!
You can download the mp3 directly here, listen to the podcast in the player above, or…
Kids, Sex, and Video Games
Sex education expert Amy Lang talks about how video games can actually help you talk to kids about sex. We believe in that! Amy talks about how she uses video game content like Grand Theft Auto to talk to her 15-year-old son about things like sex work. She’s also learning to play Far Cry 4 (yay, Amy!) and talking to her son about gender roles in that game. For younger kids, you might try broaching the subject of sex using a book Amy recommends “It’s Not the Stork.”
When it comes to online friendships, Amy recommends talking to kids about their online friends. If you’re open and calm about online interactions, kids will be more likely to tell you if there is something uncomfortable going on.
Look for Amy at her website or on Facebook.
- Simone is your one-stop shop for understanding the eccentric world of Kingdom Hearts. Read Simone’s guide to Kingdom Hearts to understand Kingdom Hearts 2.8, etc.
- The Tokyo Game Show is going on this week. Ubisoft will be announcing Assassin’s Creed Syndicate‘s first downloadable content, the Jack the Ripper DLC.
- Minecraft story mode, Order of the Stone, is coming out soon! You’ll be able to buy the episodic game either through digital download or in stores.
- Pokemon GO, an alternate-reality mobile game (which means you find Pokemon in the real world!) is coming out in 2016.
- Destiny: The Taken King expansion is out. Here’s Pixelkin’s review.
What We Played
- Simone has been playing Tearaway Unfolded for the PlayStation 4, and her review just went up on Pixelkin. (Hint: She laughed, cried, and said “Awwww” a lot.) She’s also been trying to play Life Is Strange, which is getting pretty soapy. And she saw “The Man from U.N.C.L.E.”
- Linda played a horrible mobile game called Star Girl (so she could write a post about why kids shouldn’t be playing Star Girl).
- Nicole played Alphabear. And worked out with Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved.
This podcast was recorded in the studios of the Jack Straw Cultural Center in Seattle. The music is by Pat Goodwin at Novelty Shop Creative. Nicole Tanner, Linda Breneman, Simone de Rochefort and Amy Lang participated in this podcast. Thanks for listening and if you liked this episode, please rate us on iTunes and find us on BlogTalkRadio!