Pokémon GO has recently received another feature from the main Pokémon series: trade evolutions. Certain Pokémon will evolve when traded. Alongside this new update will be several new Pokémon appearing from Gen 5 (Black and White).
Trade evolutions work a bit differently in Pokémon GO. Instead of relying on trading to evolve pokémon like Haunter, trading certain pokémon lowers their evolution Candy cost all the way to zero. The following pokémon benefit from this trade evolve discount: Kadabra, Machoke, Graveler, and Haunter.
The update also works retroactively. If you already have one of these pokémon as a trade, their evolution will cost no Candy.
More Gen 5 pokémon are now appearing in the wild, including Roggenrola, Tympole, Dwebble, Trubbish, Karrablast, Joltik, Shelmet, and more. Boldore, Gurdurr, Karrablast, and Shelmet all benefit from the new trade evolutions.
New Gen 5 pokémon can also be hatched from eggs:
- 2 km Eggs: Venipede and Dwebble
- 5 km Eggs: Roggenrola, Tympole, Trubbish, Karrablast, Joltik, and Shelmet
- 10 km Eggs: Timburr, Tirtouga, Archen, and Axew
The new Gen 5 wave also features region-exclusive pokémon. You’ll need to get some plane tickets (or some international friends) to catch ’em all.
- North America, South America, and Africa: Throh (also available in 10 km Eggs)
- Europe, Asia, and Australia: Sawk (also available in 10 km Eggs)
- Southern United States, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, and South America: Maractus
- Egypt and Greece: Sigilyph
- Eastern hemisphere: Red-Striped Form Basculin
- Western hemisphere: Blue-Striped Form Basculin
Pokémon GO is free-to-play on iOS and Android mobile devices.