In the pilot episode of our new podcast, Gaming With the Moms, Nicole Tanner (of the beloved podcast Girlfight & Pixelkin’s managing editor) rounds up Pixelkin staffers to talk about video game news of interest to moms…and dads, and sons, and daughters. We’ve got you covered, people!
You can download the episode in full here.
In this episode:
- Simone and Linda’s visit to Penny Arcade world HQ, where they tried to play the board game Ladies and Gentlemen using instructions in foreign languages. As Simone says, “FYI, the best way to learn how to do anything is ALWAYS on Youtube.”
- The release of the sports game MLB 15: The Show. Simone comes out as a HUGE sports fan. She blames Madden for the outcome of the last Superbowl. (Yup, we’re Seattleites.)
- Why you should pay attention to how much power your game console sucks down daily.
- A study out of Brown University that indicated that gamers seem to have a better visual memory.
- Conker the squirrel, the bad boy of retro gaming characters and his much-anticipated debut in Project Spark.
- Online gaming, the peer pressure to be mean, why parents should pay attention to it, and what they can do. (Jason de Kanter wrote a great article on Pixelkin about this.) Also, the brutal smack talk Courtney stoops to, like “I’m sure going to beat you this time!”
- Life Is Strange, the story-based adventure game about being a teenager who can rewind time. (Some of the teen-speak went a little awry, according to Simone.)
- Linda’s family’s attempt to play Chariot. It’s not easy, but it’s cute.
- Nicole’s rundown on Hearthstone, an awesome free-to-play online card game.
- Why Nicole’s 3-year-old daughter Ana has a bright future in quality assurance. (See Nicole’s Ana’s Apps series on Youtube.)
- Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery EP, a game Courtney likes for its strong female protagonist.
- New software, called Tyranobuilder, for making text-based adventure games (or visual novels).
This podcast was recorded in the studios of the Jack Straw Cultural Center in Seattle. Music by Pat Goodwin at Novelty Shop Creative. Nicole Tanner, Linda Breneman, Simone de Rochefort, and Courtney Holmes participated in this podcast. Thanks for listening!
If you liked this pilot, you can subscribe on iTunes or subscribe to our RSS feed. Click the links, or the buttons below!