Starting on November 24, Beyond: Two Souls will be available for a heavily discounted $29.99. Heavy Rain won’t make it to the console until March 1, 2016, but if you buy Beyond: Two Souls now you can buy Heavy Rain at a discount.
Beyond: Two Souls was almost eerily beautiful when it was originally released in 2013, but it is getting further graphical upgrades for the PS4. PlayStation promises the following:
- 1080p graphics including motion blur, bloom and depth of field effects, as well as improved lighting and shadows. The game also makes use of the DualShock 4 speaker to improve immersion when playing as the Entity.
- Decisions are highlighted at the end of each scene and compared with those made by other players.
- You can now play the game in chronological order right from the start.
- Increased difficulty in certain fight scenes, combined with improved controls for action sequences.
- Includes the “Enhanced Experiments” DLC.
Beyond: Two Souls is a game about a young girl named Jodie who has a psychic connection to a strange entity named Aiden. The player doesn’t know at first what he is and why he and Jodie are linked, but their relationship is central to the game’s story.
The gameplay is typical to other Quantic Dream games like Heavy Rain. There are quicktime events and exploration sequences in the third person. However, in Beyond: Two Souls you can also play portions as Aiden, and behave much like a poltergeist, knocking things over and causing trouble.
Ellen Page and Willem Defoe star as Jodie and her pseudo-father figure respectively. The decision to motion capture famous Hollywood actors for the game was a somewhat controversial one, exacerbated by an exploit discovered by players which allowed them to control the game’s camera during a shower scene in which Page’s character, Jodie, was nude.
Meanwhile, Heavy Rain is a crime story about a father trying to save his son from a serial killer. It is known for its complex quicktime events, the multiple endings you can get if you fail them, and for my favorite glitch ever.