Kingdom Hearts II
Kingdom Hearts II is an action roleplaying game about a boy named Sora, who teams up with popular Disney and Square Enix characters to save the world from darkness.
Click a title to learn more about each topic.
Story & Themes
The villains are Disney villains Maleficent and Pete (another old Disney baddie), as well as a group called Organization XIII. They are seeking a power called Kingdom Hearts, which they are trying to create by sending Heartless to overtake every world. Sora, Donald, and Goofy must visit a series of worlds and seal them up to stop the Heartless from devouring them. Along the way they meet popular Disney characters (most of the worlds are based on Disney films) and work with them to defeat the Heartless. The ultimate goal is to reunite with his friends, Riku and Kairi, so that they can return home to the Destiny Islands.
Kingdom Hearts II features strong friendships and teamwork. The characters explore their identities and try against all odds to stick together even as darkness is taking over their worlds.
Both Disney and Square Enix have a history of stories of deep friendship and perseverance in the face of darkness. Characters fight to stay true to themselves and to do what is right for the good of all the worlds.
The games also feature appealing morally grey characters, like Riku and Axel, who both make bad decisions but are ultimately loyal friends who just lost their way.
- Does the inclusion of Disney characters give you an emotional connection to the game? Do you feel as attached to the original characters as you do to the Disney characters?
- How does the story appeal to older players, even though it uses characters from kids' movies?
- Characters in Kingdom Hearts lose their memories often and forget who their friends are. How do you feel when it happens? Is it cathartic when characters finally reunite with their friends after a long time apart?
- Characters like Roxas sacrifice themselves to save the world. Is it sad that Roxas gave himself up for Sora, or do you think a part of him lives on in Sora?
- What characters would you like to see appear in the next Kingdom Hearts game?
Action/Adventure, Platformer, Role-Playing (RPG)
Interests / Subjects:
COMPETENCIES / INTELLIGENCIES:
REGION OF ORIGIN:
Cannot be played online