Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
Assassin’s Creed IV is an action-adventure game that’s all about pirates. It has all the free running and swordplay that the Assassin’s Creed series is known for, plus exhilarating naval battles on a vast and beautiful ocean.
Click a title to learn more about each topic.
Story & Themes
The son of a poor farmer, Edward dreams of wealth and glory, so he sets out to become a privateer. When the War of Spanish Succession ends in 1714, privateers are no longer needed, so like many others Edward turns to piracy. In his pursuit of wealth, Edward ends up killing an Assassin who was intending to defect to the Templars. He decides to impersonate the dead Assassin, thinking he might be able to make a profit out of it somehow. This, of course, causes him to become caught up in the centuries old conflict of Assassins versus Templars. Edward must decide where his true loyalties lie, and whether there are more important things in this world than riches.
- Black Flag emphasizes the sailing and naval combat experience. Did you enjoy the part of the game?
- If you could explore the memories of your ancestors, would you? Which one would you choose?
- Does the game do a good job of making you feel like you’re in a real location?
- Do you think these games would appeal to someone who isn’t interested in history? Does it make you want to learn more?
- Do you feel like you learned anything about pirates from this game?
- Do you think Black Flag romanticizes piracy, or condemns it? Or maybe neither? Is it realistic?
- What other historical periods do you want these games to explore? What cities do you think would be good locations?
Interests / Subjects:
COMPETENCIES / INTELLIGENCIES:
REGION OF ORIGIN: