1. What’s your favorite kind of video game to play with your family?
Any, really. Platformer, Racer, Adventure…
2. What’s your favorite quality in a male game character? Female game character?
I think all characters should have similar qualities. Like all heroes who we admire, they should be selfless and honorable and determined to get the job done no matter the cost.
3. What kinds of game do you avoid?
4. What’s your favorite quality in your gaming buddies (kids or not)?
5. What’s your main fault as a gamer?
6. How has gaming shaped your identity?
I got my NES when I was 8 years old. Growing up feeling different, struggling with my home life, I clung to video games as a way to exercise my imagination and escape my reality. Fast forward close to 30 years later, and now I get to help my kids imagine and wonder by sharing games with them. This is the digital “Circle of Life”!
7. What’s your idea of a miserable gaming experience?
8. In which virtual world would you choose to vacation?
9. Which game did you find most visually appealing?
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was the first time I can remember being blown away by graphics.
11. Which game has your favorite story?
Favorite? Probably Red Dead Redemption. It is one of the most honest and tragic stories that I’ve been able to experience and rivals what you would find in any Hollywood movie. It might be the best video game story of all time, in my opinion.
But, I do want to say, probably the most memorable story would be Ocarina of Time. That game just hit me at the right time in life. I can remember playing that game for hours every day up until the last battle with Ganon. And then inserting the sword to go into the past one final time. It will always be a story that I hold close and remember dearly.
12. Which video game character would you choose to be a hero for your kids?
It’s got to be the Hero of Time, Link. For me, he is the hero that all heroes aspire to be.
13. What are your favorite gaming snacks?
Twizzlers. Don’t like to get my controllers dirty, so if I’m going to eat it’s normally Twizzlers….however most of the time I choose not to snack.
14. Who’s your favorite video game villain?
Proto Man or Bass, from the Mega Man Series. I love their designs and I always love when a villain is basically just a twisted version of the hero.
15. Which video game ability/item/superpower would you most like to be gifted with?
I would like to kick a brick and have money fall out!
16. What video game character would you pick to cosplay if you had unlimited time and resources?
Might be a cheat, but probably Boba Fett. He’s more of a movie character, but he’s been in plenty of games. But I love that character and have always loved his design. I’d give anything to have an amazing, high-quality, full suit of armor.
17. Most interesting way you’ve ever died in a video game?
I can remember one time, playing Sonic on the Sega Genesis. I came out of the water just as I was about to drown, but the game for some reason still saw me as underwater and so Sonic drowned standing on the platform. It was strange.